29 May, 2010

Shape Of The Faded Shadow

I used to be a "Cueshean", but things always differ, ayt?

After hearing Sponge Cola's Gemini, I was immediately interested with the band. I tried to hear some of their songs, but had no idea where and how to hear it. Until fate delivered it to me. (Thanks Fate!) A friend of mine lend me his album collection. The collection includes Parokya ni Edgar's  "Inuman Session Vol.1", Hale's debut album "Hale" and many more stuffs from different artist which I'm not aware of at that time. While checking out the albums, I noticed a CD that stand-out against the others, and it gave me an instant smile. It was "Palabas", Sponge Cola's debut album.

Excited with what I have in my hand, I grabbed my sister's CD Player and played the song while I was lying on our sofa set. But ironically, I fell asleep during that 1st round of album.

"'Cause I, I know I can never be enough to replace your whatever." This was the line that made me realize that my eyes are already looking in the light that shines so bright by that time. I try to take a glance to the player to know the track number. And it was 4. But I don't know what is the title since the album cover is somehow far away from me. And hell yeah, I'm too lazy to get it.

That song caught my attention in no time. It has a dramatic rhythm and emotional lyrics. The chorus sounds like a desperate broken guy that can only do nothing. The verse is very solemn. But when the bridge came, it became very intense with the heavily distorted guitars. After the track, I only said 1 thing: "Wow!". It was the song that moved me too much. But still, don't know it's title.

Other tracks also convinced me that the album is worth listening for. After I try to relax myself to the other stuffs that I have, the album collection was returned to my friend. A few days after, I wanted to hear "Track No. 4" again. So I turned on my computer. But I was enraged when I saw my music player. I forgot to copy the album to my computer! At first, I think of it as a hoax when I just can't find the copy of it. But days, days not hours, days after searching for the file in my whole computer over and over again, I surrendered. 

As months passed by, I somehow forgot things about "Track No. 4". But one faithful night, as I was walking in a street near a fastfood chain and a church, I saw a CD stand and I went to it. I was surprised with what I saw. It was Sponge Cola's "Palabas"! I immediately bought the album without bargaining it (Yeah, it's a fake one. I know, I know it is bad. But I still don't have a job. Isn't that a great excuse since original albums are expensive for a wallet of an elementary student?)

As we went home, I played it in our car.After 2-3 months, I heard "Track No. 4" again, and smiled. This time, I was holding the cover, so I got a chance to take a look at the title. And at last! I already know the title. "Track No.4" is called "Neon".

In connection of me learning to listen in this newly-heard band, I tried to listen to other albums and artist. As I was doing research and hearing different songs from different artist that belongs to different generations of different genres, I realized what I like. It was the Alternative Rock dimension of the Pilipino music scene also known as "OPM Alternative Rock".

I started listening to different bands such as Parokya ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Pupil, Sandwich, Moonstar88, Mojofly, Stonefree, Sugarfree, Soapdish, Mayonnaise, Imago and others that I'm sure I forgot. I was enjoying these bands while hearing a band name that I am not aware of. They even don't have a chart-topping song at that time, but everyone that talks about OPM does not forget to mention the band name. Until one day, a friend asked me "Meron ka na bang Ultraelectromagnetic Jam?", I answered "Ano po iyon?"
"Ultraelectromagnetic Jam.". And that was the first time that I had a clear knowledge about the band that they are talking about, The Eraserheads.

to be continued...

"Now everything is silent, and everything is still without you near."
--Sponge Cola (Neon)

--ag22z

No comments: