31 May, 2010

The Naturally Infamous Selection

Yeah, I know. I'm posting new entries every another day, but I also know that when school days hit my calendar, I won't maintain this momentum anymore.

"Ultraelectromagnetic Jam: The Music of The Eraserheads" (UEM Jam for short), this is the first album that I tried to listen to that made me aware of the band Eraserheads. It is a tribute album in relation to the band's break-up during their almost-a-decade fame in the Philippine music scene. 

With their biggest hit "Ang Huling El Bimbo", Eraserheads, also known as E-heads, became the most influential band even as of today. But as a band, they said that one of their influence were Nirvana. Nirvana was a 3-piece Grunge band with members Kurt Cobain (Guitarist, Vocalist), Krist Novoselic (Bassist, Backup vocalist) and Dave Grohl (Drummer) .

Anyway, since "UEM Jam" is the album that introduced me to Eraserheads, I was also introduced to the songs only available in that recording. I am a fan of Sponge Cola, that is why their rendition of "Pare Ko" was the first song that I try listening to. I played it in my computer set with medium-high volume. At first, I thought to myself "Ah, I already heard this track before". But unaware of the lyrics, I continue until the chorus, which called the attention of my sister and mother. The chorus is made up of local explicit words such as... just kiddin', I won't post it here.

Other hits also caught my ears, including 6 Cycle Mind's "Alapaap", Imago's "Spolarium", M.Y.M.P.'s "'Wag Mo Nang Itanong" and Cueshe's "Hard To Believe". "The songs are great, so the artist are! The songs are created incredibly in terms of technicalities and lyrics." was the things I said to myself. 

Together with Sponge Cola's "Palabas", I was indulged to the album for months. How was I addicted to it? Simply this way. After I got home, I'll start my computer and open the music player program. I will play either of the two. Sometimes, I'll only listen to one album per night, sometimes alternate, and sometimes even playing a single song or two from the albums. Why didn't I became bored to it? It is because I like what I'm hearing.

Of course everyone of us have a favorite amongst the favorite in a certain thing. Mine's in the "UEM Jam" is Sponge Cola's "Pare Ko" and "Neon" in Sponge Cola's "Palabas". These two songs became the prime hits played most often in my music player.

Later on, I was convinced by myself that I must hear the original versions in the "UEM Jam" to distinguish which covers are "hot" and which are "not".

It took me kinda long time (since I can't really remember how long) to have a copy of one of the most famous and influential albums in Philipine music industry. The Eraserheads' 3rd album, "Cutterpillow". Reaching 10x platinum status, "Cutterpillow" produced the band's some of the biggest hits in their career. This includes  the travel-inspired story "Overdrive", the substitute song "Superproxy", a song about a dying man "Poorman's Grave", a full acoustic mellow song "Fill Her" and the song that tattooed Eraserheads in the music scene "Ang Huling El Bimbo".

I was already sick of "UEM Jam" while finding a copy of "Cutterpillow", making me stick again to one song, "Neon".

to be continued...

"Though I can't see you, I can feel you."
--Eraserheads (Fill Her)

--ag22z

No comments: